Gas tank, side panels, ammeter, start switch

2017-01-25_02-55-26

Ready to ride?  Not quite, but I’ve made some nifty side panels, cut the bottom of the gas tank out, semi-installed an ammeter, and have the starter relay wired up with a new bar-mounted switch.

I had a latching relay on order last post.  It arrived, and works just fine, but when I looked at the wiring diagram for the relay I could not for the life of me figure out how to reset the relay without the use of multiple switches.  The problem was that in order to reset the relay I had to be able to apply a pulse of electricity with a reverse polarity.  If you’ve ever wired a switch imagine rewiring it so that you can supply both positive and negative from each side.  Once you start thinking about it your conclusion will be the same as mine which was “fuck that.”  I think they make these to receive the reset pulse from a different power source.  Since the ground is always ground, it would require switches on the ground and the positive in order to reverse the polarity.  Fuck all that.  They do make latching relays that have separate terminals for the reset pulse, but I’m a bit tired of ordering relays so I just stuck a simple switch on the bars, and used a normal, high voltage relay that I already had.

Relay is on the left, the flasher relay is the orange one.
2017-01-26_10-11-01

Closeup of a side panel that I cut out of some 22ga steel.  They looked stupid as big plain solid sheets of steel so I snazzed them up with the vents.
2017-01-26_10-12-35

Here’s the little starter switch I added.  I thought the led might be helpful as the motorcycle is pretty much silent until it gets moving.  You do hear a “click” when the relay activates the main contactor, but that’s about it.

2017-01-26_10-12-06

Here’s the ammeter that I stuck where the old filler cap was.  It should tell me the current draw as I’m using it.  Not super-necessary since I’ll have a cycle analyst that should tell me the same thing.  I just thought it might be something neat to fill the hole with. (that’s what she said?)
2017-01-25_12-41-09

If I had the batteries all done it’d be rideable right now.  So far I’ve processed about 560 cells.  Of which, about 150ish were fried, and about 50 of my ‘B’ grade cells have been set aside to use as a 12v battery to run everything but the motor.  I’ve got about 360 ready to be assembled into packs, and have more coming in the mail in a few days.  I need 600 for the main pack.  I’ve been processing these during all waking hours for about 2.5 months.  It’s a slow process, but the batteries are a huge expense to buy new.  600 new 2600mah 18650s can be purchased for about $3000 if you can get them for $5 each.  If you get them from used laptop batteries bought via ebay you can get 600 for about $750 to $800 depending on your luck.  The downside is it takes 3 or 4 months to test and sort the 800 you need to get 600 good ones.  Most of that time doesn’t require you to do much.  You just have to keep cycling batteries between charging and testing.

This video outlines the process:

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s